The Office of the Student Ombudsperson exists as a point of contact for students who need assistance identifying where they should go for help and determining how to resolve issues related to academic or student life. The services of the Student Ombudsperson are available to all Wayne State students.
Our mission is to help students be successful learners and achieve their academic goals by providing easy access to important services and resolving issues that hamper their academic progress. The Ombudsperson takes an active role in identifying potential improvements in processes and systems that relate to academic and student life.
- Accessing processes for academic appeals.
- Identifying the appropriate offices and individuals to help students solve problems related to enrollment and registration, tuition and fees, academic support and student life.
- Appropriate referral for personal or health-related issues.
- Other assistance in navigating the university’s programs, processes and offices
The Ombudsperson is also the chairperson of the Tuition and Fees Appeals Board (TFAB). Students who have exhausted the tuition and fee appeals process in the Office of the Registrar may appeal to the TFAB.
- The TFAB is the final arbiter of appeals for tuition and related fees.
- Each appeal is reviewed as an individual case, and cancellation of tuition and/or fees is granted only when circumstances warrant.
- The TFAB will consider only those appeals filed within one calendar year of the last day of the academic term in which the challenged fees were assessed.
798 Student Center Building (SCB)
Wayne State University
Detroit, MI 48202
Student Ombudsperson Services is a safe place to ask for help. The office will maintain confidentiality as appropriate based on individual student needs.