Guidelines for Filming on Campus
Thank you for your interest in the Wayne State University campus as a possible filming location. These guidelines have been developed to outline established policies and procedures for commercial filming and photography on the Wayne State University campus and at off-campus locations.
The Business and Auxiliary Operations Department coordinates all requests for commercial and non-commercial filming and photography at Wayne State University. Requests should be routed to Jocelyn Turner via email at email@example.com or by fax at 313-577-8686.
Campus agencies that might be affected by a film project – security, grounds, and the divisions involved – depend on the Business and Auxiliary Operations Department to screen all requests and confirm arrangements. Please do not contact campus departments directly.
- Obtaining approval: A filming request is not approved until all of the following requirements have been met:
- approval is obtained from the Associate Vice-President of Business Operations or her representative for the content and intended use of any proposed film project
- agreement is obtained regarding the date, duration and hours of filming; location(s); support services required; and parking arrangements.
- consent is obtained from all campus agent(s) for the desired location(s)
- availability of the desired location is confirmed
- a location Rental Agreement is signed
- Script approval: A copy of the final script or storyboard must be submitted to the AVP of Business & Auxiliary Operations for approval. Script approval must be granted prior to the signing of the Agreement.
- Locations: Most areas of the WSU campus may be used for filming. However, any location is available by a case-by-case basis and must be approved prior to filming. Prior to filming and at a minimum of nine (9) business days prior to the desired date, a representative of the production company must walk through the desired location(s) with a representative of Business and Auxiliary Operations.
- Fees: The location fee is based on a half day/full day rate system. The time coverage by the agreement begins when the first production vehicle arrives and ends when the last one leaves on the day of the shoot. Business and Auxiliary Operations will assist the film company personnel with scouts, securing permission to film from various campus agents, handling contract negotiations, and assisting the cast and crew on the day(s) of filming. Charges for these services are listed as an administration fee on the invoice. Fees for providing campus services (security, custodial, etc.) will be listed separately. An itemized invoice will be forwarded to the Company within fourteen (14) days following the end of shooting, and must be paid within fourteen (14) days of receipt of the invoice.
- Insurance: The film-maker must provide evidence that they have secured the appropriate permits from the City of Detroit, and have secured adequate insurance coverage for their activities at WSU at least 24 hours prior to the shoot.
A Certificate of Insurance naming Wayne State University as additionally insured for the day(s) of the shoot must be provided, as follows and for not less than:
US $5 Million - All feature/television productions
US $3 Million - All documentary productions
US $1 Million - All still photography productions
A Certificate of Insurance must be from a Michigan licensed insurance carrier and the carriers license must be current and in effect through the filming. The address for the certificate should read: c/o Nabelah Ghareeb, Business and Auxiliary Operations - 5221 Gullen Mall, 470 SCB - Detroit, MI 48202.
- Parking: Special arrangements for the parking of specific vehicles (generator, camera truck, etc.) can be arranged. All other parking will be subject to normal parking procedures.