Wayne State University’s vision is to become the model public research university engaged in the urban community.
As a nationally recognized urban, public research university, Wayne State’s mission is to create knowledge and prepare a diverse body of students to excel in an increasingly complex and global society.
Five specific goals result from Wayne State’s strategic vision. These goals articulate its aspirations and provide the framework for a continuing pursuit of excellence in scholarship, research and community enrichment.
Wayne State University has pledged
- to promote an exceptional learning experience;
- to improve the university’s stature as a nationally ranked research institution;
- to nurture a strong and dynamic campus community;
- to sustain our role as an engaged university in an urban environment;
- and to diversify and broaden the university’s funding base.
We intend to maintain Wayne State’s stature as one of the nation’s most respected public research universities, and these goals support that purpose. National recognition is not an end in itself, however; what matters most is how Wayne State’s progress as shaped by these goals will position the university to benefit its students and ultimately its city, state, nation and the world.