veteran student

You can qualify for military or veteran student status if you are eligible for one of the following programs:

Post-9/11 GI Bill – Chapter 33
The Post-9/11 GI Bill provides financial support for education and housing to individuals with at least 90 days of aggregate service after September 10, 2001, or individuals discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days. You must have received an honorable discharge to be eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill.

Transfer of Post 9/11 GI Bill – Benefits to Dependents (TEB)
The transferability option under the Post-9/11 GI Bill allows service members to transfer unused benefits to their spouses or dependent children.

Montgomery GI Bill – Active Duty (MGIB) Chapter 30
The MGIB program provides up to 36 months of education benefits. Generally, benefits are payable for 10 years following your release from active duty.

Montgomery GI Bill – Selected Reserve (MGIB-SR) 1606
This benefit may be used for degree and certificate programs, flight training, apprenticeship/on-the-job training and correspondence courses. Remedial, deficiency and refresher courses may be approved under certain circumstances.

Reserve Educational Assistance (REAP) 1607
This program makes certain reservists who were activated for at least 90 days after September 11, 2001, either eligible for education benefits or eligible for increased benefits.

Post 9/11 GI Bill: Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship (PDF)
Children of an active duty member of the Armed Forces who has died in the line of duty on or after September 11, 2001, are eligible for this benefit.

Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (VR&E) Chapter 31
For veterans with service-connected disabilities to prepare for, find and keep suitable jobs. This benefit is also for veterans with service-connected disabilities so severe they cannot immediately consider work.

Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance Program (DEA) Chapter 35
DEA provides education and training opportunities to eligible dependents of veterans who are permanently disabled due to a service-related condition or who have died while on active duty or as the result of a service-related condition.

Tuition Assistance (TA)
Veterans will receive four credit hours of elective credit for submission of a DD214. In addition, after submitting an AARTS, SMART, CCAF or CGI military transcript, up to 12 additional credit hours can be awarded for service.

For more information or to determine your eligibility for these programs, visit the Office of Military and Veterans Academic Excellence.

Paying for college

Information about grants and scholarships for you or a family member’s military service is available on the Federal Student Aid website.

Financial aid eligibility

  • In addition to any military benefits you receive, you may qualify for loans or other assistance under Title IV, such as Federal grants, Stafford, Parent PLUS, Graduate PLUS and Perkins loans.
  • Federal loan borrowing amounts are based on your enrollment status and other factors.
  • Federal work-study funds can provide an opportunity for students in need to earn money to help pay for school.
  • To apply for federal grants and loans, you must file the annual Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
  • When considering student loans, keep in mind that the terms and conditions of federal loans may be more favorable than the provision of private education loans.

Visit the Office of Student Financial Aid to learn more.