Alternative admission pathways
Special admission programs
Our enhanced admissions policy is based on a holistic consideration of each student’s potential to succeed at a research university. We remain committed to the high academic standards that best prepare students for success following graduation. Some students will require the assistance provided by special admission programs to take full advantage of the opportunities at Wayne State.
Referred applications to APEX Scholars will be reviewed holistically, including full academic record, types of classes taken, grade trends and personal history.
APEX Scholars is an alternative admission program designed to assist students with admission to and graduation from Wayne State University. The program is based on the philosophy that students who are interested, committed and willing to invest their time can succeed academically when provided with appropriate support services.
In consideration for admission into APEX Scholars, students must be referred through the undergraduate admissions referral process. After referral, students must schedule and attend the New Student Holistic Review to be considered for one of our Bridge Programs.
- Rigorous eight-week program designed to determine if students have what it takes to progress and graduate from the university.
- Students will take courses designed to improve academic skills and strengthen student awareness and responsibility.
- Students will be required to stay on campus and participate in mandatory scheduled activities promoting student success.
- Students must pass all courses with a C average or better to be admitted into APEX Scholars.
- Summer Bridge is offered at no charge to all students selected to participate.
- Rigorous 16-week program with the same requirements as Summer Bridge.
- Students must pass the following courses:
- English 1010/1020
- Communication 1010
- APEX 1000: A course designed to improve academic skills and strengthen student awareness and responsibility.
- Students must pass all three courses with a C average or better to be admitted into APEX Scholars.
- Tuition cost and all fees are the responsibility of the student.
Additional admission options
- Center for Latino and Latin American Studies is one of the oldest academic programs for Latino studies in the Midwest.
- Nonmatriculant status gives you the opportunity to take classes at the undergraduate or graduate level if you do not want to enroll in a degree-seeking program. Call the Office of Undergraduate Admissions at 313-577-2100 for more information.
- The visitor program gives you the opportunity to take classes for personal enrichment, not for credit. As a visitor student, you are responsible for half of the freshman tuition rate and half of the registration fee. Contact Educational Outreach at 313-577-4665 for more information.