Dual enrollment

dual student

  • Students are expected to complete all requirements mandated by their high school for graduation.
  • Admittance in the Dual Enrollment Program offers non-degree status and is valid for one semester.
  • Students must reapply and complete the full application for each semester they wish to take courses under this arrangement.
  • Students are limited to a maximum of eight credit hours per semester.

After the application materials are reviewed, applicants will be notified of their status in the program. If admissible, students will be assigned a student ID number and AccessID, which allow access to the university’s Web portal registration system. The schedule of classes and registration instructions are available through the class schedule.

Admission criteria

Eligible students are those who:

  • Are in grades 9 through 12
  • Have a 3.0 or higher cumulative grade point average


  • If the student is eligible for tuition and fee support, the school district will be billed the appropriate amount of tuition based on the information provided on the calculation worksheet.
  • If the school district is not responsible for the entire amount of eligible charges, the remaining balance will be billed to the student’s parent or guardian.
  • Parents or guardians are required to accept financial responsibility for payment if the student is under 18 years old.

Tuition and fee support

The Postsecondary Enrollment Options Act (PSEO) provides for payment from a school district’s state aid foundation grant for enrollment of certain high school students in postsecondary courses.

  • To verify if a student qualifies for tuition and fee support, please consult the State School Aid Act and/or the PSEO.
  • If you have further questions, please call the Curriculum Development Program Consultant at the Michigan Department of Education at 517-373-4213 or 517-373-2551.
  • You also can visit www.michigan.gov/mde for more information. 

It is important that students and parents discuss plans for dual enrollment, including tuition issues and college course selections, with the appropriate high school administrator. Students admitted for dual enrollment also are encouraged to call a WSU academic advisor at 313-577-2680 regarding course selections and prerequisite requirements before registering for classes.


Do I have to enroll in classes that are held on Wayne State’s main campus?
Not at all. Wayne State has several extension centers, including those in Farmington Hills, Clinton Township and Warren. Choose the location that best suits your needs. You can register for any Wayne State class regardless of its location.

Am I earning college credit?
Not necessarily. Students choose to participate in dual enrollment programs for many reasons, one of which is to gain college credit while still in high school. You can check to see if the courses you are interested in will count as college credit by speaking with a Wayne State academic advisor before you register. Students also choose to dual enroll in courses in order to complete high school graduation requirements. Check with your high school counselor to ensure that you register for the appropriate courses. If you will be attending another college or university, please check with your school to see if credit will be given.

Do I have to reapply at any time during the dual enrollment program?
If you want to continue taking classes, you must complete a new dual enrollment application for every semester you wish to participate. When reapplying for the dual enrollment program, you are only required to submit the application and worksheet; transcripts do not need to be resubmitted.