Become a student

Incoming freshmen

You are considered to be a freshman if you are:

  • A current high school senior who will go to college after graduation
  • A high school graduate who has not earned credit at a college or university
  • A GED holder who has not earned credit at a college or university

Transfer students

To transfer to Wayne State:

  • You must have at least 24 transferable credits of previous college work and a minimum 2.5 cumulative grade point average from all higher education institutions you’ve attended. 
  • Students who have completed an associate degree may be admitted with a grade point average of a 2.0 or better.

Canadian students

You are considered a Canadian student if you are a citizen or permanent resident of Canada. If you are a U.S. citizen living in Canada, you should complete the domestic undergraduate admissions application.

International students

You should apply as an international student if you are not a permanent resident or a citizen of the U.S. You also should apply under this status if you have graduated from a secondary institution and completed pre-university educational curricula in your own country.

Guest students

Guest students are those currently enrolled at another institution while taking a class or two at WSU. Not only is it a great idea to pick up extra classes at Wayne State — particularly in the summer months — but it’s also easy to do. 


You can qualify for military or veteran student status if you are eligible for one of the programs offered through the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.

Dual enrollment

The Concurrent Admission/High School Dual Enrollment Program is an educational option for high school students with demonstrated academic ability. The purpose of this program is to supplement and enrich students’ educational backgrounds by allowing them to pursue coursework that otherwise would not be available.


If you have already completed a bachelor’s and/or master’s degree and are interested in either earning college credit without intending to use it toward another degree, or if you want to get into a graduate program but need to raise your GPA first, this type of admission is for you.