Wayne State University logo

Frequently Asked Questions

Application FAQ

Is there an application fee?

Wayne State University does not require an application fee.

I haven’t graduated with my bachelor’s degree yet. Do I have to wait until my degree is posted to apply to graduate school?

No. Simply have your institution submit a transcript containing the most current record to support your application. Once your degree is posted, you must have an official final transcript with degree statement sent to Wayne State.

  • You should not apply for a graduate school term that begins before you expect to receive your bachelor’s degree.
  • You will be required to provide proof of bachelor’s degree during your first term of graduate enrollment. Failure to do so could result in discontinuation of enrollment.
I have an open application but would like to defer it for a different semester. Is that possible? 

Because applications are specific to the initial program and term selected, you must submit a new application reflecting the program and term for which you currently would like to be considered. Any previously submitted documents will be transferred to your new application. 

I want to apply for financial aid, scholarships or a graduate teaching/research assistantship. Should I send my application to the Office of Graduate Admissions?

No. Any applications for support should be submitted to the program to which you are applying or, if indicated, the department listed on the form. Submitting these requests to the Office of Graduate Admissions can cause a costly delay.

I submitted an application. How do I log in to check my status or add documents to my application?

Your online application status page will display where you are in the application process. On this page, you may submit required documents, answer questions, and view the information you need to know about your application and admission decision.

Do I need to submit anything other than the application and transcripts?

Many departments have additional requirements beyond those of the Office of Graduate Admissions, such as GRE, letters of recommendation and a statement of purpose. These requirements will be listed on the graduate application for admission. You can submit any required materials through that application.

How can I find my AccessID and student ID?

Both your AccessID and student ID can be found near the top of your application status page, above and to the right of your name.

Document FAQ

What types of transcripts are official?

Official transcripts are those issued directly by your previous institution. They usually include a school imprint, seal, or original signature and stamp of the registrar or senior school official.

  • Transcripts cannot be transmitted via the applicant. They must be sent by the institution to Wayne State University and cannot read "issued to student."
  • Electronic transcripts will be accepted if they are delivered securely from the registrar of the issuing institution directly to the Office of Graduate Admissions.
I only took one course from a community college and it shows up on my university transcript. Can I just have my university transcript sent to Wayne State?

Although the university requires only the bachelor’s degree transcript for an admission decision, some academic programs require transcripts from all post-secondary schools you have attended. Be sure to check with your academic program if you have any questions regarding requirements.

International FAQ

Do you offer conditional/provisional admission?

Wayne State University’s English Language Institute (ELI) considers students for provisional admission. Please contact ELI directly for more information, as this type of application is not reviewed by the Office of Graduate Admissions.

I have lived in the United States for the last 10 years but all of my previous education was in a country where English is not the native language. Do I still have to take the TOEFL?

Yes. Because your education was completed in a country where English is not the native language, you are still required to provide proof of English proficiency. The TOEFL is the most frequently used standardized indicator of English proficiency in higher education.

I live in Michigan but completed my degree overseas. I only have my original transcript and degree certificate. Do I have to submit them?

Bring your original documents and a photocopy to the Office of Graduate Admissions for review. We will attest that the copy is true. These attested copies may be used in place of the originals. Copies of foreign transcripts attested by public notaries will not be accepted in place of the originals.

I've had my transcripts evaluated by WES, ECE or another evaluation service. Do I still have to submit my official transcripts?

Yes. These evaluations can be used as an English translation of applicant transcripts but do not replace the official transcripts. Please be sure to include native language versions of all transcripts and degree statements.

My transcripts are written in a language other than English. What should I do?

Most foreign institutions provide copies of your transcripts and degree certificates in English as well as your native language. In some cases, you may have to ask specifically for them. You might also have to pay an additional fee for this service. It is important that you submit both native and English language versions to Wayne State.

I sent my international transcripts but heard that I also need a degree certificate. Why?

If your degree is not posted on the transcript, you will need to provide official documentation of your degree certificate or diploma. You may want to specifically ask the issuing institution to confirm that your degree statement has been posted on your transcript before having it issued. If not, you will need to provide an official degree certificate. Provisional certificates are acceptable for international applicants.

I am not a U.S. citizen but live in the United States. What additional information do I need to provide?

Non-U.S. citizens should provide a copy of their visa or permanent resident card. If you are in the process of changing your status, include copies of the applicable paperwork.

I currently have an H-4 visa. Do I have to provide the financial documents (i.e., bank statement and financial statement of support)?

No. Only applicants who wish to have a student visa (F-1) issued need to provide financial documents. F-2 visa holders should be aware that it can take between four and six months for the change in visa status to take effect.

How do I check the status of my I-20 after I have been admitted?
International students may check the status of their I-20 with the Office of International Students and Scholars (OISS), which oversees the I-20 process. Any questions should be directed to that office.