Wayne State University logo

Admission requirements


You must have a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution in the United States or a comparable degree from an officially recognized institution outside the United States to apply for graduate admission.


Master’s applicant

Minimum undergraduate GPA of 2.75 or its equivalent in upper division coursework.

Doctoral applicant

Minimum undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or its equivalent in upper division coursework.

Test scores

Some graduate programs may require you to submit satisfactory scores from the Graduate Record Examination (GRE). Consult your program of interest about specific requirements.

If you’re applying to a graduate program in the Ilitch School of Business, you will be required to submit satisfactory scores from the Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) or GRE. Contact the Mike Ilitch School of Business for specific requirements.

Official transcript

Submit your official transcript(s) to:

Wayne State University
Office of Graduate Admissions
5057 Woodward Ave., Suite 6000
Detroit, MI 48202

We will accept official transcripts electronically, by postal mail or by courier. Electronic transcripts will be accepted if they are delivered securely from the registrar of the issuing institution directly to the Office of Graduate Admissions (gradadmissions@wayne.edu).

An electronic (secure, certified PDF) transcript is official as long as it is not altered. A printed copy of a PDF transcript is not official.

We will not accept an attested or notarized copy of a transcript, a hand delivered transcript, or a transcript that reads "issued to student."

If your previous institution will not send an official transcript directly to the Office of Graduate Admissions, you have the option to submit an official transcript evaluation completed by a National Association of Credential Evaluation Service (NACES) member organization to fulfill the official transcript requirement — we prefer you use World Education Services (WES) or Educational Credential Evaluators (ECE). The official transcript evaluation must be transmitted directly from the selected NACES evaluator to the Office of Graduate Admissions electronically, by postal mail or courier. All evaluations must include a course-by-course report and a calculated cumulative GPA.

Document FAQ

What types of transcripts are official?

Official transcripts are those issued directly by your previous institution. They usually include a school imprint, seal, or original signature and stamp of the registrar or senior school official.

  • Transcripts cannot be transmitted via the applicant. They must be sent by the institution to Wayne State University and cannot read "issued to student."
  • Electronic transcripts will be accepted if they are delivered securely from the registrar of the issuing institution directly to the Office of Graduate Admissions.
I only took one course from a community college and it shows up on my university transcript. Can I just have my university transcript sent to Wayne State?

Although the university requires only the bachelor’s degree transcript for an admission decision, some academic programs require transcripts from all postsecondary schools you have attended. Be sure to check with your academic program if you have any questions regarding requirements.


For tuition purposes, your residency status will be determined during the admission process based on information available in your admission records. Residency status is determined according to the tuition regulations and review procedures established by the Board of Governors of Wayne State University.

If you’re admitted as a non-resident but think there are circumstances which would warrant changing your residency classification, contact the Office of Graduate Admissions at gradadmissions@wayne.edu.

After registering for classes, you may challenge the initial classification by filing an Application for Residence Classification (PDF) with the Records and Registration Office. The application must be received by:

  • Sept. 30 for the fall and medical year terms.
  • Jan. 31 for the winter term.
  • July 31 for the spring/summer term.

Ohio/Ontario Good Neighbor Policy

Non-resident graduate students who are residents of Fulton, Lucas, Ottawa or Williams counties in Ohio or Ontario, Canada, and enroll at Wayne State University in eligible academic programs will have the non-resident portion of tuition waived. This tuition benefit does not apply to certain academic programs, including the M.D. and doctor of pharmacy programs. Please refer to the Tuition and Fee Regulations for additional details.

Additional requirements

All credentials and/or documents you submit should contain your full name, WSU AccessID or date of birth. Lack of this information may cause processing to be delayed. Please notify the Office of Graduate Admissions if the name you provided prior to enrollment changes.

All materials submitted during the application process become property of the university and will not be returned to the applicant.

Application FAQ

Is there an application fee?

No. There is no application fee for graduate students applying to Wayne State at this time.

I haven’t graduated with my bachelor’s yet. Do I have to wait until my degree is posted to apply to graduate school?

No. Simply have your institution submit a transcript containing the most current record to support your application. Once your degree is posted, you must have an official final transcript with degree statement sent to Wayne State.

  • You should not apply for a graduate school term that begins before you expect to receive your bachelor’s degree.
  • You will be required to provide proof of bachelor’s degree during your first term of graduate enrollment. Failure to do so could result in discontinuation of enrollment.
I have an open application but would like to defer it for a different semester. Is that possible? 

Because applications are specific to the initial program and term selected, you must submit a new application reflecting the program and term for which you currently would like to be considered. Any previously submitted documents will be transferred to your new application. 

I want to apply for financial aid, scholarships or a graduate teaching/research assistantship. Should I send my application to the Office of Graduate Admissions?

No. Any applications for support should be submitted to the program to which you are applying or, if indicated, the department listed on the form. Submitting these requests to the Office of Graduate Admissions can cause a costly delay.

I submitted an application. How do I log in to check my status or add documents to my application?

Your online application status page will display where you are in the application process. On this page, you may submit required documents, answer questions, and view the information you need to know about your application and admission decision.

Do I need to submit anything other than the application and transcripts?

Many departments have additional requirements beyond those of the Office of Graduate Admissions, such as GRE, letters of recommendation and a statement of purpose. These requirements will be listed on the graduate application for admission. You can submit any required materials through that application.

How can I find my AccessID and student ID?

Both your AccessID and student ID can be found near the top of your application status page, above and to the right of your name.