Campus & Community
Wayne State has something for everyone. Climb our 30-foot-high climbing wall in the Mort Harris Recreation and Fitness Center, cheer the Warrior athletes or attend an on-campus concert, play, dance recital or art exhibit. The Department of Music hosts over 100 concerts per year, most of which are free! Nearly 200 recognized student organizations sponsor everything from ethnic celebrations to political debates.
One of Wayne State University's goals is to develop mutually beneficial partnerships with our community as a catalyst for the region's social, cultural, economic and educational enrichment.
Calendar of Events
- Full List
- Parent Orientation 2013
- June 19 2013 at 8:00 AMGeneral LecturesWayne State University would like to welcome you, the parents, to visit our campus! Please plan on registering to join your son or daughter at New Student Orientation and attend the uniquely designed Parent Orientation where you will receive important information about campus safety, housing, financial aid, advising, university policies and procedures and student support services. Make sure you sign up on the same day as your student’s schedule orientation date. The Student and Parent Orientation is designed for you to attend orientation the same day as your son or daughter’s scheduled date. If you cannot make it on your son or daughter's scheduled date please feel free to sign up for a more convenient orientation. Please RSVP for this event in advance. Check-in runs from 8 a.m. – 9 am in General Lectures http://maps.wayne.edu/#buildings-general-lectures on WSU’s main campus. Complimentary parking is available in Parking Structure 2. Lunch will be provided. The orientation begins at 9:00 a.m. For more information about this event, please contact the Dean of Students Office at (313) 577-1010 or email@example.com.
- 2013 Professional Development Seminar Series
- June 19 2013 at 8:30 AMMerrill-Palmer InstituteWayne State University Merrill Palmer Skillman Institute Presents: Healthier Urban Families Outreach Program Make The Pain Go Away: Pain Management in Children Wednesday, March 20, 2013 Presenter: Vicki Tutag-Lehr, Ph.D Autism Spectrum Disorders: Transitioning into Young Adulthood Wednesday, April 17, 2013 Presenter: Janet Graetz, Ph.D Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder in Adolescence and Emerging Adulthood Wednesday, May 22, 2013 Presenter: Arthur L. Robin, Ph.D Understanding Substance Use and Violence in Urban Youth Wednesday, June 19, 2013 Presenter: Stella Resco, Ph.D Registration fee: $50 per seminar (multiple seminar discount available below), breakfast, free parking, and applicable CE certificate included. Discounts : $20 for students for one session. $40 per session for 3 or more sessions. 3 CE's per day for social workers and licensed Counselors: Merrill Palmer Skillman Institute is an approved provider with The Michigan Social Work Continuing Education collaborative. Approved provider number MICED 0068 3 State Continuing Education Clock Hours (SCECH's) formerly SB-CEU's pending A certificate of attendance will be issued to OT's, PT's, and other disciplines.
- WSU Camp Cosmos - Summer 2013
- June 19 2013 at 12:00 PMWayne State University PlanetariumWSU Camp Cosmos - Summer 2013 June 17 – June 28 The Department of Physics and Astronomy at Wayne State University is excited to announce our third Astronomy Summer Camp taught by WSU Physics and Astronomy faculty and staff. Camp Cosmos is a two-week long astronomy and astrophysics camp designed for student ages 12-15 (suggested grades 7-10). Base camp for this summer program is located in the recently upgraded WSU Planetarium! Students will investigate the night sky and learn about telescopes; learn Starry Night, the software used to program planetarium shows; and explore many of the most interesting aspects of space science such as the Solar System, the Milky Way Galaxy and our vast Universe. Topics include the Big Bang, stellar evolution, supernovas, neutron stars, black holes, galaxies, cosmology, and current mysteries like dark matter and dark energy. Students will also enjoy many hands-on activities and special experiences such as visits to the WSU Recreation and Fitness Center and to local area museums in the nearby Midtown Cultural Center. WSU Camp Cosmos is a cosmic experience! Camp dates: Monday, June 17 – Friday, June 28, 2013 Camp hours: 9 am – 4 pm (except for Friday, June 28th which is 9 am – 1 pm) (If student needs to be dropped off earlier or stay later, arrangements can be made). Location: WSU Planetarium, Room 0209 (Lower Level), Old Main Building Wayne State University, 4841 Cass Avenue, Detroit, MI 48201 Cost: $375.00 (includes lunch and all field trips) Sponsors: WSU Department of Physics & Astronomy For more information, go to the WSU Planetarium website/Summer Programs at: http://planetarium.wayne.edu/programs/summer-programs.php For questions, please contact: Dawn Niedermiller, WSU Camp Cosmos Program Director firstname.lastname@example.org 313-577-2107
- WSU Alumni Association-55th Annual Detroit Fireworks WSU Viewing Party
- June 24 2013 at 12:00 PMParking Structure 7Wayne State University Alumni Association presents the 55th Annual Detroit Fireworks WSU Viewing Party Monday, June 24, 2013 7 p.m. pre-fireworks gathering 10 p.m. fireworks (approximately) WSU Parking Structure #7 3717 John R Street, Detroit Back by popular demand! Bring your blanket and chairs for a fun-filled family fireworks event. A DJ will be on hand to get the party started. Then enjoy one of the largest and most dynamic fireworks displays in the world. Optional parking in Structure #7 is available. Please note to bring your own picnic supplies - only limited bottled water and snacks will be provided. Alcohol and grills are not permitted. $5 per person. $5 for Parking Structure #7 pass. This event has sold out in the past so make your reservations early! To make your reservations click below;- http://www.wsualumnicommunity.com/event.html?eid=433&month=05&year=2013&etype= For questions, please contact Alumni Relations at 313-577-2300.
- Celebrating the The Ford Fireworks presented by Target WSU Viewing Party
- June 24 2013 at 6:00 PMParking Structure 2Wayne State University faculty, staff and students and their families are invited to The WSU Viewing Party on Parking Structure 2 to watch the City of Detroit's The Ford Fireworks presented by Target on Monday, June 24, 2013 6 p.m. to 10:45 p.m. We'll have Inflatables for the kids AVI/McGregor Concessions Live DJ spinning your favorite tunes Line Dancing BBQ area if you want to prepare your own summer favorites Simulcast of the downtown fireworks RSVP to let us know you are coming at http://specialevents.wayne.edu/2013-wsu-fireworks/. Show your One Card for parking in Structure 2. Restroom facilities are provided on the ground level. Rain date is Tuesday, June 25, 2013. Call Special Events and Services at (313) 577-0300 for more information.
- More Events