Next steps for international students
Take a virtual tour
Accept your offer of admission
- Log in to your appstatus page with your AccessID and password to let us know you're ready to join the Wayne State family.
Start checking your WSU email
- We will be sending you important information about orientation, housing and financial aid.
- Log in to Wayne Connect.
Review your I-20/DS-2019
- Check your status and pay the SEVIS fee.
- The SEVIS fee is $200 USD for F-1 students and $180 USD for J-1 students.
- Remember to print your receipt, as you will need it at the border.
- If changes are necessary, email I20unit@wayne.edu.
- If you have not applied for an I-20/DS-2019, visit oiss.wayne.edu/immigration-visas/f1-f2-status.php for F-1 students, or oiss.wayne.edu/immigration-visas/j1-j2-student-status.php for J-1 students.
- Remember to include all supporting documents.
- Transfer students should complete the Transfer In Clearance form.
Apply for a student visa
- Locate the U.S embassy or consulate in your country and follow the instructions provided for applying.
- Students from all countries except Canada are required to submit an online nonimmigrant visa application (Form I-160) and schedule a visa interview.
- When you go to your visa interview, bring your SEVIS receipt, WSU admit letter, I-20/DS-2019 form, documents showing financial support and your passport.
Canadian students entering the U.S are visa-exempt
- Canadians may apply for the F-1/J-1 status admission directly at the U.S port of entry.
- Bring your I-20/DS-2019 form, SEVIS receipt, documents showing financial support and your passport.
- A cash processing fee of $6 USD will be required when you enter the U.S via bridge or tunnel.
Apply for private scholarships
- You can search and apply for private scholarships by March 31.
Check out on-campus housing
- Housing applications will be available in February.
- Visit housing.wayne.edu for more information.
Plan your arrival
- Arrive to campus no more than 30 days before the start date on your I-20/DS-2019.
- Please note that you may not receive your paper form I-94 at the port of entry.
- If this occurs, visit cbp.gov/i94 to learn how to obtain your I-94 number.
- You are invited to attend orientation. Choose a date and time that work best for you.
Learn about placement testing
- Prior to orientation, visit our testing website to determine whether placement exams in English, math or science will be required.
- You are required to meet the university’s English proficiency requirement, indicated by minimum scores of 79-80 TOEFL IBT and IELTS 6.5.
- If you do not meet the university English proficiency requirement, you must apply to the university’s English Language Institute.
Register for classes
- Get detailed instructions on registering and sign up as early as possible.
Sign up for OISS check-in
- All international students must check in with the Office of International Students and Scholars when they arrive on campus.
- Sign up for a mandatory New International Student Check-in.
Purchase health insurance
- Health insurance is mandatory for international students.
- Visit the student insurance website to enroll and pay for yours.
- This is a requirement for your duration at Wayne State.