Degrees and graduation
Applying for graduation
One of the last steps you need to take before receiving your degree is to apply for graduation.
- You must apply for graduation in Academica no later than the end of the fifth week of classes in the semester you plan on graduating.
- To submit an application, click on the Student tab and select Apply for Degree or Certificate from the Student Records menu.
- There is a $40 non-refundable graduation fee that must be paid before your application for graduation can be considered.
- Payment must be made in the online application for graduation by credit card or electronic check.
- If you are currently registered, you can also choose to add the fee to your student account.
- Before you apply, be sure to review your degree audit in STARS.
- You should also make an appointment to see your advisor and make sure you've completed all academic requirements.
If you have any questions, e-mail the Records Office at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at 313-577-2100.
Wayne State University awards degrees three times each year — May, August and December. The university holds commencement ceremonies in December and May to recognize its new alumni. The academic calendar contains the dates and times for each school's commencement ceremony. Visit the commencement site for more information.